The House of Lords Home Affairs, Health and Education EU Sub-Committe will question health and social marketing academics in the first evidence session of its new inquiry, which is considering what the context of the next European Union Alcohol Strategy should be.
Wednesday 15 October, Committee Room 3, Palace of Westminster
- Professor Peter Anderson, Professor of Substance Use, Policy & Practice, Newcastle University
- Professor Gerard Hastings OBE, Director of the Institute for Social Marketing at the University of Stirling
- Professor Petra Meier, Professor of Public Health and Acting Director of Research, University of Sheffield
- their views on the current alcohol strategy and its achievements so far;
- if they agree that there should be a new EU Alcohol Strategy and, if so, what its focus and priorities should be;
- their views on the recently agreed action plan for the EU on youth and binge drinking;
- if the EU’s alcohol policies are underpinned by a sound scientific base, for example with regard to problems such as the effect of alcohol misuse on people other than the drinker; and
- their views on issues including minimum unit pricing, restrictions on advertising and the availability of alcohol.