This followed its consideration of the 'Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the European Council and the Council: Towards a robust trade policy for the EU in the interests of jobs and growth', including the modernisation of the EU's trade defence instruments, in December 2016.
Over the course of the Committee's consideration of this proposal, a number of questions were raised with the Minister of State for Trade Policy, including:
- What is the UK's Government position on granting market economy status (MES) to China, and what considerations underpin this assessment?
- What is the Government's legal assessment of whether the Proposal is compliant with the EU's commitments under the WTO?
- Whether the EU remains compliant with WTO rules, given the expiry of China's WTO Accession Protocol, and whether a dispute panel has been convened in response to China's request.
- Whether the UK Government would be able to continue to implement current EU anti-dumping measures after Brexit, and what work it has undertaken to develop a new trade defence regime.
On 2 February 2017, the Committee also took oral evidence from Amanda Brooks, Director (Trade Remedies, Access and Controls), Trade Policy Group, Department for International Trade, on EU trade policy, including MES for China.
At the meeting on 30 November 2017, the Committee agreed to release the item from scrutiny. It asked the Minister to provide further information on the UK's post-Brexit trade remedies regime, and China's request for a dispute panel to be established. The Government has now responded to the Committee's letter.
Letters from the Minister
- Letter from Lord Price CVO, Minister of State for Trade Policy, 26 January 2017 ( PDF 114 KB)
- Letter from Lord Price CVO, Minister of State for Trade Policy, 16 February 2017 ( PDF 114 KB)
- Letter from Lord Price CVO, Minister of State for Trade Policy, 19 April 2017 ( PDF 111 KB)
- Letter from the Rt Hon Greg Hands MP, Minister of State for Trade Policy, 14 November 2017 ( PDF 331 KB)
- Letter from the Rt Hon Greg Hands MP, Minister of State for Trade Policy, 14 December 2017 ( PDF 97 KB)
Letters to the Minister