The Committee was disappointed with the quality of the Explanatory Memorandum; it retained the item under scrutiny and wrote a letter to the Rt Hon Sir Alan Duncan MP, Minister for Europe and the Americas. The Committee asked:
- For an assessment of the current political situation in Burundi;
- Who the targets of state repression and human rights abuses in Burundi are, and what the role of the Burundian government is, and what the scale of these abuses is;
- How the international community, and particularly the EU and UK, has tried to engage with Burundi over the past 18 months, and what response has been received;
- What the Government's assessment is of the impact of the EU sanctions regime to date; and
- For information on the measures taken by the EU since the conclusion of consultations with Burundi under the Cotonou Partnership Agreement, and the Government's assessment of these.
The Committee agreed to clear this item from scrutiny on 16 November 2017.
Letter from the Minister
Letter from the Rt Hon Sir Alan Duncan MP, Minister for Europe and the Americas, 8 November 2016: Burundi sanctions ( PDF 294 KB)
Letter to the Minister
Letter from the Committee to the Rt Hon Sir Alan Duncan MP, Minister for Europe and the Americas, 26 October 2017: Burundi sanctions ( PDF 59 KB)
Explanatory Memorandum from the Government, 5 October 2017 ( PDF 293 KB)
Council Decision (CFSP) 2017/1933 of 23 October 2017 amending Decision (CFSP) 2015/1763 concerning restrictive measures in view of the situation in Burundi