On Wednesday 11 November, the House of Lords EU External Affairs Sub-Committee takes evidence from the President of the Federal Academy for Security Policy in Berlin. Dr. Kamp was formerly the Research Director of the NATO Defence College in Rome and an advisor to NATO's Group of Experts.
The evidence session takes place on Wednesday 11 November in Committee Room 2, Palace of Westminster.
At 2.35pm (by video conference):
- Dr Karl-Heinz Kamp, President of the Federal Academy of Security Policy, Berlin
Likely areas of discussion
The Committee discusses EU military capacity, EU-NATO cooperation and the German security and defence review.
Questions the Committee is likely to put to the witnesses include:
- How much emphasis do you feel that NATO should be given as part of the EU's collective defence policies?
- If the UK were to leave the EU, where would that leave EU-NATO cooperation?
- How would a European pillar within NATO function as a way to reinvigorate EU-NATO cooperation?
- Do you believe that Members States' promises to increase defence spending to 2% of GDP are credible?
- Do you think the EU is likely to become a more capable military actor?
- What implications will the German security and defence review have for Germany's foreign policy outlook?