The Lords Sub-Committee investigating Regional Marine Co-operation will hear from the European Commission
In its latest investigation, the House of Lords EU Sub-Committee on Agriculture, Environment, Food and Fisheries is reviewing the general background to the Maritime Spatial Planning Directive, the success or otherwise of other co-operation initiatives such as the Marine Strategy Framework Directive and the potential for future work.
On Wednesday 22 October 2014 the House of Lords EU Sub-Committee on Agriculture, Environment, Food and Fisheries will hear evidence from:
- from 11.00am, Hiatze Siemers, Unit of Maritime Affairs for the North Sea and Baltic (DG MARE), European Commission
- What are the main features of the Integrated Maritime Policy?
- What is the European Commission's vision for blue growth?
- What is being done to improve coordination and coherence between EU policies affecting the marine environment?
- What was the rationale for the Maritime Spatial Planning Directive?
- What initiatives are there designed to promose co-operation in regional seas, including both sea basin strategies and macro-regional strategies?
- Would the Commission support a call for a North Sea Strategy?