The European Union Sub-Committee on External Affairs will hear from senior officials at the European Commission and African NGOs as part of its investigation into EU-funded water and sanitation projects in Sub-Saharan Africa
Thursday 4 July, Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster
- Stathis Dalamangas, Head of Water Sector, European Commission amd Chloé Fevre, Policy Officer, European Commission
At 11.30am via video conference:
- Annabell Waititu, Brenda Micheni and Kennedy Bwire, Institute of Environment and Water Management;
- Josiah Omotto, Umande Trust
- Getrude Salano, Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor
Questions for the European Commission
On Thursday the Committee will ask the Commission officials:
- How satisfied they are that the Commission has delivered in the WASH sector in Sub-Saharan Africa?
- What the Commission has done in response to the critical ECA report?
- The ECA were sceptical that the Commission has resolved the weaknesses highlighted in their report – the Committee will ask for proof the weaknesses have been resolved?
- What steps are being taken to ensure more rigorous and effective monitoring of projects?