Sir Danny Alexander, former Chief Secretary to the Treasury, gave evidence to the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee as part of its inquiry into the devolution of public finances.
The sessions took place on Tuesday 20 October in Committee Room 1, Palace of Westminster.
- Sir Danny Alexander, former Chief Secretary to the Treasury
- Professor John Kay, Professor of Economics, London School of Economics
- Professor Noel Lloyd, Former Vice Chancellor, Aberystwyth University and member of the Silk Commission
- Keith Cochrane, Chief Executive, Weir Group
The Committee questioned Sir Danny on a range of issues including:
- Whether it is appropriate for Parliament to be considering the Scotland Bill before a new fiscal framework is agreed?
- Should Parliament have a bigger role in scrutinising the financing of devolved governments?
- Is it time to reform or abandon the Barnett formula?
- Should limits be placed on the additional borrowing powers devolved to Scotland?