The Committee on Citizenship and Civic Engagement will take evidence from the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, Youth Focus North-West, German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs.
Wednesday 29 November, Committee Room 3A, Palace of Westminster
- Dr Henry Tam
- Councillor Saima Ashraf, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Community Leadership and Engagement, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham
- Mr Stuart Dunne, Deputy Chief Executive, Youth Focus North-West
- Mira Turnsek, Senior Official, German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs
Possible areas of discussion:
- What role should local authorities play in encouraging volunteering?
- To what extent are local communities involved in the provision of nationally run volunteering schemes like the National Citizen Service?
- What role should local authorities play in encouraging democratic engagement?
- The German Government has a Strategy to Prevent Extremism and Promote Democracy. To what extent do you think that these two things are linked?
- Is the German naturalisation programme for new arrivals successful in fostering integration and civic engagement?
- Do you have any views on the strengths and weaknesses of the British approach to integration?