The Lords Select Committee on Adoption Legislation will be hearing from the Office of the Children’s Commissioner on Tuesday 30 October, as part of its current inquiry into the adoption process.
At 10.15am, the Committee will hear from:
- Sue Berelowitz, Deputy Children’s Commissioner; and
- Jenny Clifton, Principal Policy Advisor (Safeguarding), Office of the Children’s Commissioner.
Following on, at 11am, the Committee will be hearing from the following witnesses from the Association of the Directors of Children’s Services:
- Debbie Jones, President, DCS Lambeth;
- Matt Dunkley, former President, DCS East Sussex; and
- Andrew Webb, Vice President, DCS Stockport.
The witnesses are likely to face questions from the Committee on issues including:
- how the rights of the child are balanced against the rights of birth parents;
- whether new laws are needed to promote adoption for BME children;
- whether the current adoption system is too fragmented; and
- whether adopters should benefit from changes to the tax and welfare system.
The evidence sessions will take place on Tuesday 30 October from 10.15am in Committee Room 3A.