The Women and Equalities Committee examines the challenges and inequalities faced by migrant Roma communities.
What the session will explore
Throughout the inquiry, the Committee has heard that Roma issues often diverge from Gypsy/Traveller issues and that they require consideration in their own right.
The session will explore:
- Data collection issues and what is known about Roma communities in the UK
- The relationship of the UK Government with the EU National Roma Integration Strategy
- The policy areas in which Roma experience disadvantage, including in education, housing and employment
- Challenges for policy-makers in integrating Roma communities after the UK leaves the EU
- Funding for local authority and civil society Roma integration projects.
Wednesday 24 October, The Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Dave Brown, Director, Migration Yorkshire
- Michal Daniel, Roma Community Care
- Ruth Richardson, Roma Community Care
- Colin Havard, Community Development Co-ordinator, Sheffield City Council
- Cllr Jim Steinke, Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods and Community Safety, Sheffield City Council