The Committee will examine the current state of the dairy industry in Wales and its future prospects. It is particularly interested in evidence on some or all of the following issues:
- The economic and social importance of the dairy industry to Wales;
- The short-and long-term challenges facing dairy farmers, and recent developments in respect of milk prices;
- The potential for the Welsh dairy industry to diversify and become more competitive within the UK and globally;
- the efforts by the UK and Welsh Governments to assist the Welsh dairy industry, and the progress in implementing a voluntary code of conduct on milk contacts;
- The potential impact of the EU Dairy Package and the UK Groceries Code Adjudicator Bill on the Welsh dairy industry; and
- The future composition of the Welsh dairy industry, including the size of dairy farms.
The Committee is not interested in taking evidence on bovine tuberculosis.
1. The Committee asks for written submissions by Monday 5 November 2012. Written evidence submitted so far.
2. The first evidence session was held in Aberystwyth on 8 November 2012. Read.
3. The second evidence was held on Tuesday 27 November 2012. Watch. Read.
4. The Report The Voluntary Code of Practice in the dairy sector, was published on 22 May 2013.
5. Current position: awaiting Government response.