Due to the general election on 12 December 2019 the Committee has now closed this inquiry. Following the dissolution of Parliament on 6 November, all Select Committees will cease to exist until after the general election. If an inquiry on this subject is held in the future, the Committee may refer to the evidence already gathered as part of this inquiry.
Scope of the inquiry
The Committee will examine what the Government’s financial services priorities should be when it negotiates the UK’s future trading relationship with the EU and third countries. It will also look at how the UK’s financial services sector can take advantage of the UK’s new trading environment with the rest of the world, and whether the UK should maintain the current regulatory barriers that apply to third countries.
Terms of Reference
- What should the Government’s financial services priorities be when it negotiates its future trading relationship with the EU?
- What should the Government’s financial services priorities be when it negotiates with third countries in the rest of the world in order to allow UK financial services access to their markets?
- What regulatory actions are required for each specific segment of the UK financial services industry in order to maximise access to EU markets?
- How can the UK financial services sector take advantage of the UK’s new trading environment with the rest of the world?
- Should the UK open its financial services markets to external competition from countries outside of Europe, or should the UK maintain the current regulatory barriers that apply to third countries?
- What skills and immigration policy will the UK financial services sector need once the UK has left the EU?
- How can the UK regulators and government policy, facilitate the emergence of FinTech and new competition; develop new areas of growth for the financial services sector; and promote the UK as the best place to incubate new financial technologies?
There is no set deadline for the submission of written evidence to this inquiry
Send a written submission