The Scottish Affairs Committee visits the Isle of Tiree and the Western Isles for its inquiry into the Crown Estate in Scotland.
Ian Davidson MP, chair of the committee, said,
"Following our successful visit to the Highlands and Islands in June this year, members of our committee will be in Tiree, Barra and Lewis to hear directly from local communities and businesses.
We want to hear firsthand about the relationship between local communities and the Crown Estate, particularly about how the Crown Estate can best act in the public’s interest.
We are also keen to explore aspects relating to our inquiries into health and safety in Scotland and supporting Scotland’s economy. We are especially interested to hear about the viability of small businesses on the isles in the current economic climate."
The Committee’s itinerary includes:
Wednesday 21 September: Tiree
- Tour taking in the fishing fleet at Milton Harbour, Discover Tiree (visitor information), Blue Beyond gallery, and the Hynish Centre (Hebridean Trust).
- Meetings with the Tiree Community Trust and representatives from businesses and the community.
- 17.00-18.00: Informal drop-in session for the local community
Thursday 22 September: Tiree and Barra
- Meetings with ScottishPower Renewables, Tiree Community Business, the community landowners of South Uist, Eriskay and Benbecula.
- Visits to the Rural Centre (Tiree), Ardveenish Pier and Barratlantic, Community Projects Barra and South Uist, HS9 (an off-shore cabling storage project).
Friday 23 September: Barra and Lewis
- Meetings with Southern Hebrides Against Marine Environmental Designations (Barra), representatives from the aquaculture and fisheries sector, Community Land Scotland.
- Tours of Stornoway Harbour and the Creative Industries Media Centre.
Saturday 24 September: Lewis
- Meeting with the Galson Trust and a discussion on Crofting, Harris Tweed, Digital Connectivity and Creative Industries with industry representatives.