The Political and Constitutional Reform Committee will take evidence from
• Cllr Roger Gough, Cabinet member at Kent County Council and a former Research Director at Policy Exchange
• a representative from Localis (at 10.00 am); and
followed at about 11 am by
• Prof George Jones, London School of Economics and
• Prof John Stewart, University of Birmingham
on Thursday 18 November in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House.
The purpose of this session is to explore constitutional and practical issues around the possibility of codifying (or formally writing down) the principles and mechanics of the relationship between central and local government.
Questions likely to arise include whether the responsibilities of central and local government need to be more clearly defined, the extent to which the activities and powers of local government could be protected against encroachment from the centre, and the relevance to England of how these issues are handled in other countries, and in other parts of the United Kingdom.
For more information about the inquiry, or to send in your own views visit:
• Prospects for codifying the relationship between central and local government: inquiry information