open - accepting written submissions
Accepting written submissions; the deadline has been extended 5pm on Thursday 18 April 2019.
Scope of the inquiry
In this new inquiry, the Committee will examine the importance of tourism to the economy and society of Northern Ireland more widely and investigate ways in which the industry could be improved or further supported.
Terms of reference
(I) The economic and societal impact of the tourism industry in Northern Ireland
- How does tourism contribute to the Northern Ireland economy, either directly or indirectly?
- Which other industries rely on tourism for income?
- What sectors of the industry are performing well, and which are struggling?
- What can be done to support all sectors within the industry?
- How is the tourism industry’s economic contribution distributed geographically?
- What can be done to support tourism in underdeveloped areas in Northern Ireland?
- Is tourism in Northern Ireland seasonal? What can be done to support Tourism throughout the year?
- How can Northern Ireland maximise on the impact of events such as the 2019 Open Championship?
- How can repeat tourism to Northern Ireland be encouraged?
- How does the tourism industry support employment in Northern Ireland?
- What is the quality of the employment provided by the tourism industry?
- Can tourism help to address legacy issues?
- Are there any negative impacts of tourism to Northern Ireland? How can these be mitigated?
(II) Transport links to Northern Ireland
- What travel links currently exist between Northern Ireland and i) Great Britain, ii) the Republic of Ireland, iii) the rest of Europe and iv) the rest of the world?
- How can current travel links be expanded to encourage greater numbers of tourists to Northern Ireland?
- How well is Northern Ireland’s tourism industry served by its airports?
- How could Northern Ireland’s airports be supported further to improve opportunities for travel to Northern Ireland?
- How has Northern Ireland performed as a cruise destination? How could this area be expanded?
(III) The promotion of Northern Ireland as a destination
Terms of reference: Tourism in Northern Ireland
- How is Northern Ireland as a tourist destination currently promoted i) domestically and ii) abroad?
- How effective is Tourism Ireland in promoting Northern Ireland as a destination?
- Would Northern Ireland benefit from having its own promotion agency?