The Liaison Committee – the committee of all the Select Committee Chairs – is holding an inquiry to identify how select committees can improve their scrutiny of Government. In this session the Sub-Committee will be hearing from journalists and the Leader of the House of Commons.
Purpose of the session
Topics likely to be covered include:
- The factors that influence whether a report or an evidence session is reported on in the media.
- How easy it is for journalists to follow the work of committees.
- What makes a select committee effective.
- How scrutiny by select committees could be developed and whether reforms to the way they operate are needed.
Monday 13th May 2019, Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Esther Webber, Political Reporter, The Times
- Carole Walker, former Political Correspondent, BBC
- The Leader of the House, The Rt Hon Andrea Leadsom MP