The International Development Committee takes evidence from development stakeholders and the Minister of State for International Development on the humanitarian situation in Venezuela, and its impact upon other countries in the region.
Wednesday 27 February 2019, Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Clare Dixon, Head of Region, Latin America and the Caribbean, Cafod
- Alejandro Arenas-Pinto, Senior Clinical Research Associate, UCL Institute for Global Health
- Isabel Marquez, Deputy Director for the Regional Bureau for the Americas, UNHCR
- Rt Hon Alistair Burt MP, Minister of State for International Development and Minister of State for the Middle East at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Matthew Wyatt, Deputy Director and Head of Conflict, Humanitarian and Security Department (CHASE)
- Nigel Baker, Deputy Director, Head of Latin America, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Purpose of the Session
This session will consider the extent of the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela, and its impact upon other countries in the region. It will also assess the response of the UK Government to the crisis, and how the UK can ensure that humanitarian aid reaches those in need.