The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee is holding its first evidence session as part of its follow-up work on the Independent Review of Building Regulations and Fire Safety.
Wednesday 27 June, Committee Room 8, Palace of Westminster
At 9.15am - Panel 1: Industry representatives
- Peter Caplehorn, Deputy Chief Executive and Policy Director, Construction Products Association
- Mirella Vitale, Senior Vice President (Group Marketing, Communications and Public Affairs), Rockwool
- Richard Burnley, Managing Director (Britain and Ireland), Kingspan Insulation
- Adrian Dobson, Executive Director, Royal Institute of British Architects
At 10am – Panel 2: Fire safety experts
- Dr Debbie Smith, Managing Director, BRE Global
- Claire Curtis-Thomas, Chief Executive Officer, British Board of Agrément
- Mark Hardingham, Chair (Protection and Business Safety Committee), National Fire Chiefs Council
- Sir Ken Knight, Chair of the Independent Expert Advisory Panel
At 10.45am - Panel 3: Building owners and insurers
- Mark Norris, Principal Policy Adviser, Local Government Association
- David Smith, Policy Director, Residential Landlords Association
- Huw Evans, Director General, Association of British Insurer
Focus of the session and recent work of the Committee
The session hears from industry representatives, fire safety experts and building owners and insurers, and examines the immediate and longer-term changes needed to improve the safety of residential tower blocks, and how improvements can be applied more widely in the construction industry. Witnesses are likely to be asked for their views on the Independent Review, the use of combustible cladding and fire safety testing regimes.
The Committee questioned the Chair of the Review Dame Judith Hackitt in May following the publication of her report. Chair Clive Betts MP has also written to the Government calling for an immediate ban on the use of combustible cladding on high rise buildings.