Tuesday 16 January 2018 in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Yusef Azad, Director of Strategy, National AIDS Trust
- Dr Joanne Bailey, Member of the Advisory Panel, National Data Guardian
- Marissa Begonia, Coordinator, Voices of Domestic Workers
- Dr Lucinda Hiam, General Practitioner, Doctors of the World
- Professor John Newton, Director of Health Improvement, Public Health England
- Lord O’Shaughnessy, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health (Lords), Department of Health
- Sir Ian Andrews, Non-executive Director, NHS Digital
- Sarah Wilkinson, Chief Executive Officer, NHS Digital
- Caroline Nokes, Minister for Immigration, Home Office
- Jonathan Marron, Director General, Community Care, Department of Health
- Hugh Ind, Director General of Immigration Enforcement, Home Office
Written evidence received from National AIDS Trust, NHS Digital and the General Medical Council is available on the inquiry publications page.
Memorandum of Understanding
The MoU formalises arrangements for the Home Office to make disclosure requests to NHS Digital for the purpose of tracing immigration offenders and vulnerable people who may be at risk, and, subject to assessment of the appropriateness of the request, for NHS Digital to provide the information requested.
The Committee’s predecessor considered the MoU early in 2017, and shortly before the general election published several exchanges of correspondence ( PDF 4.99 MB) on the matter between the Chair and the Minister for Public Health, the Chair of NHS Digital, the Chief Executive of Public Health England, the Chief Executive of the General Medical Council and the National Data Guardian.
Scope of the session
The Committee will be considering the matters raised in that correspondence, in the light of the publication in November 2017 of the report of NHS Digital’s National Back Office (NBO) tracing service review.
Witnesses will include representatives of NGOs, Public Health England, and the National Data Guardian’s Advisory Panel, as well as Home Office and Department of Health ministers and representatives of NHS Digital.