This is the first evidence session for the Committee’s inquiry into The FCO’s performance and finances in 2011-12.
The meeting will take place on Tuesday 6 November, 2.30 pm in the Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
- Simon Fraser CMG, Permanent Under-Secretary and Head of HM Diplomatic Service, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Matthew Rycroft, Chief Operating Officer, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Iain Walker, Deputy Director of Finance, Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Purpose of Session
The starting point for questioning will be the 2011-12 Annual Report and Accounts of the FCO, although the Committee plans to concentrate on the following themes:
- The FCO’s “Diplomatic Excellence” programme, and associated arrangements for the training, promotion and deployment of staff;
- The FCO’s aim of becoming the best Diplomatic Service in the world by 2015, and how that might be measured;
- Results so far of the FCO’s increased emphasis on trade and investment promotion and on commercial interests; and
- The reshaping of the FCO’s network of overseas posts.