The Foreign Affairs Committee is taking evidence from former officials and business to consider skills required by Foreign Office.
Purpose of the session
This session will first gather views from former officials of foreign countries on the FCO's international reputation, on their own national experiences, and on national approaches to key diplomatic challenges.
The session will then consider which new and different skills might be necessary for modern diplomacy, with a focus on business, digital diplomacy and soft power.
Tuesday 17 July 2018, Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Dr Peter Ammon, former Ambassador of Germany to the UK
- The Hon. Alexander Downer, former High Commissioner of Australia to the UK
- Dr Kori Schake, Deputy Director-General, International Institute for Strategic Studies
From 3.45pm (approx.)
- Dr Catherine Fieschi, Director, Counterpoint
- Patrick Horgan, Regional Director, North-East Asia, Rolls Royce plc