The European Scrutiny Committee questions a panel of experts about the land border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in the context of the EU exit negotiations.
Wednesday 27 June 2018, Committee Room 16, Palace of Westminster
- Dr Lorand Bartels, Reader in International Law, Cambridge University
- Professor David Collins, Professor of International Economic Law, City, University of London
- Dr Katy Hayward, Reader in Sociology at Queen’s University Belfast
- Shanker Singham, Director of the International Trade and Competition Unit (ITCU) of the Institute of Economic Affairs
Focus of the session
The Committee plans to ask witnesses about a variety of issues relating to the Irish border aspect of the negotiations.
Issues likely to be covered include:
- the 'temporary customs arrangement' proposed by the Government
- regulatory aspects of the backstop
- how maximum facilitation would work at the Irish border
- the WTO frontier traffic exception, and
- legal issues pertaining to the Irish border in a 'no deal' scenario.