The Environmental Audit Committee holds a panel discussion for its inquiry on disposable packaging. This session focuses exclusively on the issue of plastic bottle waste.
Tuesday 17 October in the Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Fiona Llewellyn, Project Manager, #OneLess Campaign
- Dr. Sue Kinsey, Senior Pollution Policy Officer, Marine Conservation Society
- Hugo Tagholm, Chief Executive, Surfers Against Sewage
- Derek Robertson, Chief Executive Officer, Keep Scotland Beautiful
- Dr. Chris Sherrington, Head of Environmental Policy, Eunomia Research and Consulting
- Nick Brown, Head of Sustainability, Coca-Cola European Partners
- John Mayhew, Director, Association for the Protection of Rural Scotland
- Sam Harding, Litter Programme Director, Campaign to Protect Rural England
Purpose of session
The session begins with a panel discussion involving representatives from NGOs, such as the Marine Conservation Society and Surfers Against Sewage, in which the Committee will hear about the current state of plastic bottle waste and the potential solutions being piloted and campaigned for.
The following panel offers an insight into the pros and cons of a Deposit Return Scheme for plastic bottles – a system already in place in several other European countries and American states – and various other potential solutions to plastic bottle waste in the UK.