The Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee conducts pre-legislative scrutiny on the draft Animal Welfare (Sentencing and Recognition of Sentience) Bill. In December the Government published a short, three clause draft Bill, explanatory notes and consultation to recognise animal sentience. The draft Bill also included tougher sentencing for animal cruelty offences.
Wednesday 17 January 2018, The Grimond Room, Portcullis House
- Mike Radford, Reader in Law, University of Aberdeen
- Sir Stephen Laws KCB, QC, former First Parliamentary Council;
- Penny Hawkins, Head of Research Animals, RSPCA, Science Group
- Paula Boyden, Veterinary Director, Dog's Trust
- Claire Horton, Chief Executive, Battersea Dogs and Cats Home