The Defence Committee takes evidence from Ambassadors of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, and academics on the Modernising Defence Programme.
Purpose of the session
The Committee will examine the implications of Russia’s defence and foreign policy on the UK and its NATO allies in the Baltic States. The British Government has indicated that state-based competition has re-emerged as a leading strategic priority, and a resurgent Russia has demonstrated the threat that it poses to the security and interests of the UK. The Committee will examine how its allies in Eastern Europe have met similar challenges and how the UK’s defence policy should adapt to developing threats.
Tuesday 17 April 2018, Thatcher Room, Portcullis House
- HE Ms Tiina Intelmann, Ambassador of Estonia
- HE Mrs Baiba Braze, Ambassador of Latvia
- HE Mr Renatus Norkus, Ambassador of Lithuania
- Justin Bronk, Research Fellow, RUSI
- Dr Andrew Monaghan, Senior Research Fellow, Chatham House
- Sir Adam Thomson KCMG, Director, European Leadership Network and former UK Permanent Representative to NATO
Image: Crown Copyright