The Committee is examining the circumstances surrounding the seizure, by the Royal Marines on behalf of the Government of Gibraltar, of the Iran-flagged Grace 1 oil tanker.
Purpose of the Session
The Committee will explore whether:
- the level of assets at the Royal Navy’s disposal to protect flagged vessels is adequate,
- the Royal Navy itself is too small to manage the UK’s global interests,
- it was a mistake for the Government to initially prioritise an EU-led mission to protect vessels rather than the mission proposed by the United States of America, and
- there are any signs that the UK Government has learnt any lessons from this episode.
The Committee has also published correspondence with the Secretary of State for Defence ( PDF 80 KB) following his refusal to provide witnesses from the MoD on this topic.
Monday 9 September 2019
Location: Committee Room 6, Palace of Westminster
- Nick Childs, Senior Fellow for Naval Forces and Maritime Security, IISS
- Rt Hon The Lord West of Spithead, former First Sea Lord and Chief of the Naval Staff
Image: Crown copyright