The Defence Committee holds its second evidence session on its inquiry into Russia: implications for UK defence and security.
Tuesday 8 March 2016, Wilson Room, Portcullis House
- Dr Igor Sutyagin, Senior Research Fellow, The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI)
- Dr Bobo Lo, Independent Analyst
- Mr Peter Pomeranzev, Senior Fellow, Legatum Institute
- Dr Andrew Monaghan, Senior Research Fellow of the Russia and Eurasia Programme, Chatham House
- Dr Victor Madeira, Senior Fellow, The Institute for Statecraft
Scope of the session
The Committee seeks to:
- Examine how the UK should manage its capabilities to engage with Russia where appropriate whilst mitigating military confrontation with Russia.
- Explore the extent of UK understanding of the Russian use of multi-dimensional warfare, and the underlying culture and mind-set.
- Understand the extent to which the UK has adequate information about Russia’s military capabilities and intentions, the main tools of Russian ‘multi-dimensional’– also known as ‘ambiguous’ and ‘hybrid’– warfare, and the capacity of the UK and NATO to respond.