The Defence Committee call for evidence for its inquiry into Larium and its use by armed forces.
Scope of the inquiry
The Committee will be conducting an inquiry into the safety of Lariam. The inquiry will not consider individual cases. It will concentrate on:
- The MoD's policy of prescribing Lariam to military personnel and the practice and policy of other Nations;
- The effectiveness of Lariam and alternative anti-malarial drugs;
- Assessments of the safety of Lariam conducted by the Ministry of Defence and other organisations;
- The accuracy of reports highlighting adverse side-effects of using Lariam; and
- The Department's policy for dealing with military personnel who have suffered from detrimental side effects of using Lariam.
The Committee invites short written submissions (no more than 3,000 words) on this subject. The deadline for receipt of submissions is Friday 4 December 2015.