Adoption and Looked After Children
The Children and Families Bill would change the law relating to adoption and children looked after by local authorities
Key provisions include, but are not limited to:
- Clause 1 introduces a duty on local authorities to consider a "Fostering for Adoption" placement for looked after children for whom they are considering adoption.
- Clause 2 removes the explicit legal wording requiring adoption agencies to give due consideration to religious persuasion, racial origin and cultural and linguistic background when matching children with prospective adopters.
- Clauses 7 and 8 make changes to local authorities’ and courts’ approach to allowing contact between looked after and adopted children and their birth families and certain others.
MPs are particularly interested in your comments on the practical implications of specific clauses of the Bill. Please make clear whether your comment relates to a specific clause.
- Read Bill clauses 1-9 on Adoption
- Adoption: Schedule 1
- Read explanatory notes on the Children and Families Bill
This forum is now closed and comments related to this thread have been removed.