Skip to main content

What your MP can do for you

MPs can assist their constituents in a variety of ways, from making private enquiries on your behalf, to raising matters publicly in the House of Commons.

First steps

Keeping the issue private, your MP might write to the relevant department or official, send a letter to the appropriate Minister or make a personal appointment to discuss the issue. These steps can often go a long way to providing a solution.

Making the issue public

Your MP may decide to make the issue public by raising it in the House of Commons, where it will be officially recorded, and could potentially come to the attention of the press and public.

Outside Parliament

Outside Parliament, and at the discretion of the individual MP, you could request that your MP speak at an event concerning the issue, pledge their support to a campaign or write to the local media on your behalf.

Contact the House of Commons Enquiry Service

The House of Commons Enquiry Service provides information on the work, history and membership of the House of Commons.

  • Telephone: 0800 112 4272 (Freephone) or 020 7219 4272
  • Email:
  • Text relay: Dial 18001 followed by our full number

Our telephone enquiry service is open from 10am - 12 midday and 2pm - 4pm, Monday to Friday.


The House of Commons Enquiry Service produces a series of free guides which you can read online, download or order copies.

House of Commons on Twitter

Follow @HouseofCommons for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.

So, your MP is a government minister

MPs are often willing to help their constituents but can't support every cause. This may be because:

  • it adversely affects other constituents
  • the issue conflicts with the MP's party policy
  • the MP is a government minister, (see below)
  • it is a devolved issue

If your MP is a government minister

If your MP is a government minister, or becomes one, they are still able to help with problems affecting their constituents, and can do so through all the usual methods - except for raising matters in the House of Commons.