Skip to main content

Pay and expenses for MPs

The basic annual salary for an MP from 1 April 2022 is £84,144. MPs also receive expenses to cover the costs of running an office, employing staff, having somewhere to live in London or their constituency, and travelling between Parliament and their constituency.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) has set and administered MPs' pay since 2011.

MPs' expenses

Since the May 2010 General Election the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) has been responsible for the regulation and payment of expenses to Members of the House of Commons.

House of Commons stationery and postage paid envelope costs

The House of Commons provides a cash limited sum per year for the provision of postage paid envelopes and House of Commons stationery to all Members; this sum is in addition to any costs that may be reimbursed under the IPSA expenses scheme.

Allowances to May 2010

In June 2009 more than a million documents and receipts were made available to the public online. These related to MPs' claims dating back to 2004/05 and up to 2007/08. These pages have been updated to include information about claims made for costs incurred when staying away from the MPs' main home in 2008/09 and the first quarter of 2009/10

MPs' pay and pensions

On 24 May 2011 the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) was made responsible for determining MPs' pay and setting the level of any increase in their salary. IPSA is also responsible for the oversight of the MPs' pension scheme.

In the Commons, some MPs are paid more because of the special jobs they hold. For example, the Speaker and the Chairs of Committees receive an extra salary.

Most MPs who are also ministers in the Government are paid an extra ministerial salary.

The MPs' Pension Scheme is part of the Parliamentary Contributory Pension Fund (PCPF). Further information about the scheme can be found on the PCPF website.

Payments to Opposition parties

Some money is paid to those political parties represented in Parliament who are not in government. This is to help ensure that the Opposition and minority parties have enough funds to carry out their parliamentary role and to put across their views.

The amount given to each party depends on how many people voted for them at the last general election and how many of their candidates were elected. In the House of Commons this is known as 'Short Money'; in the House of Lords it is known as 'Cranborne money'.

See also

Contact the House of Commons Enquiry Service

The House of Commons Enquiry Service provides information on the work, history and membership of the House of Commons.

  • Telephone: 0800 112 4272 (Freephone) or 020 7219 4272
  • Email:
  • Text relay: Dial 18001 followed by our full number

Our telephone enquiry service is open from 10am - 12 midday and 2pm - 4pm, Monday to Friday.


The House of Commons Enquiry Service produces a series of free guides which you can read online, download or order copies.

House of Commons on Twitter

Follow @HouseofCommons for updates on the UK House of Commons Chamber.

Related information


Enquiries on MPs pay and expenses should be directed to the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA)

For enquiries on MPs pay before May 2011 or MPs expenses beforeMay 2010 please contactthe House of Commons Enquiry Service

What was the 'Green Book'?

The Green Book was the official guidance to MPs on allowances until May 2010

Short Money: Short Money is the common name given to the annual payment to Opposition parties in the House of Commons to help them with their costs. It is named after Edward Short, the Leader of the House who first proposed the payments.

The House of Lords equivalent is 'Cranborne money'.