Imperial War Museum Act
Even before World War One had ended, there was a desire to record the events of the conflict and Britain's contribution to the war effort, both on the Front and at home. Indeed, a committee was established to found a National War Museum in 1917. This committee was led by Alfred Mond.By December 1917, the committee had agreed that the museum should be named the Imperial War Museum to reflect the contributions and sacrifices of India and the Dominions.This 1920 Act of Parliament established the governing structure of the IWM including the Board of Trustees. The first President was the Prince of Wales and Alfred Mond was also on the Board. The Imperial War Museum was officially opened by King George V on 9th June 1920, less than two years after the armistice was signed.