St Stephen's: the House of Commons and Parliamentary Democracy 1548 - 1834
Parliament at St Stephens
From the mid-sixteenth century St Stephen's became the venue from political debate and discussion.
Adapting the Chapel
Prior to 1550, the House of Commons did not have a permanent home, so Edward VI granted St Stephen's as a debating chamber for Members of Parliament.
Women in St Stephen's Chapel 1548-1834
Whilst women did not get the vote until the twentieth century, they could and did become involved in politics in this period.
Find out more about St Stephen's Chapel and the Houses of Parliament from 1548 to 1834