Old St Stephen's
This was not the first St Stephen's Chapel at Westminster, however. It was built on the site of an earlier (probably twelfth-century) version, the same site as St Stephen's Hall today, just to the south and east of Westminster Hall, facing onto the river Thames.
First mentioned in 1206, this St Stephen's was extensively refurbished and redecorated by Henry III (1227-53), including pictures of the King, Queen, apostles and the story of Nebuchadnezzar from the Book of Daniel.
It was demolished to make way for the new chapel in 1292, when new foundations were dug.
Last updated April 2017