Stained glass window, Westminster Hall
The stained glass window in St Stephen's Porch is the main memorial to members and staff of both Houses, including police officers, who died in the Second World War. The window was designed by Sir Ninian Comper and replaced the original Pugin window which was destroyed in December 1940 in a Second World War bombing raid.
The two police officers remembered in this memorial died whilst on duty in Parliament. War Reserve Constables Gordon Farrant and Arthur Stead were on fire watch duties in the turret above the Royal Gallery in the House of Lords on the night of 10-11 May 1941. The first bomb that night fell on the turret destroying it and killing both men. The bombing raid went on to kill Captain Edward Elliott, the House of Lords Resident Staff Superintendent, who is also remembered in this memorial. Later that night the House of Commons chamber was destroyed.
The large stained glass window contains the service badges and armorial bearings or initials of Members and staff of both Houses and police officers, who died in the War of 1939 to 1945. The window is above the Recording Angel memorial which is dedicated to Peers, MPs, Officers and their sons who died in the First World War.
Location: St Stephen's Porch
Stained glass window