One of the oldest piece of silver in the collection is this tankard. The silver marks indicate that it was made in 1649 although the inscription is dated to either 1647 or 1641. It is thought to have been made by Henry Greenway in London. The main body of the tankard is engraved with bands of plain and matted decoration. An area at the front also appears to be polished which may indicate a coat of arms would have been placed here or has been removed. The upper plain part is engraved with the following inscription.
“Viro venerabili Chalonero Chute Armigero votiuum Johis Epi Roffensis ob prudentiam eius Singularem fortitudinem heroicam et Synceram fidem praestitas Epis Angliae mire periclitatis Ano 1647/1”
The inscription tells us that the tankard was probably a gift from John Warner, Bishop of Rochester, to Chaloner Chute, a lawyer, politician and briefly Speaker of the House of Commons. Chute defended 12 Bishops in 1641 who were impeached for taking part in convocation in 1640 and making new canons. The inscription thanks Chute for his “heroic and sincere faith” presumably in connection to his work defending the Bishops.