Letter racks and ink stands
This silver gilt letter rack, ink wells and pen rest is one of a pair that can be seen in the Commons Chamber. A financial donation was made by the government of what is now Zimbabwe. The inscription on the front reads "Presented to the House of Commons by the Government and People of Southern Rhodesia 1950". The “GE” on the inkwells stands for King George VI and his Queen, Elizabeth. The same decoration can be seen on the House of Commons dispatch boxes.
Sir Giles Gilbert Scott designed the letter racks and seems to have taken inspiration from silver letter racks created over 100 years earlier by A.W.N. Pugin for the Palace of Westminster. The pierced portcullis at either end is very similar to Pugin's design.
They were made by Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd in London which merged with Garrard & Co in 1952.