Sir Giles Gilbert Scott
The Palace of Westminster was damaged by air raids on fourteen different occasions during the Second World War. The most damage was caused on the 10 and 11 May 1941. Both the House of Commons Chamber and Westminster Hall were hit. The fire service saved the ancient hall meaning the Commons Chamber was completely destroyed. Clearance of the damage began in 1945 and the newly built Commons Chamber, was opened in 1950.
All of the designs for the architectural scheme, woodwork, furniture and fittings were undertaken by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, OM, FRIBA (1880-1960) who was instructed to keep a gothic feel to the new Chamber.
Members of the Commonwealth gave gifts to cover the cost of some materials for the refurbishment. Twelve Commonwealth members gave special native woods grown in their country which were sent to Britain to be made into furniture and fittings.