Chair of State
This chair is often referred to as a “Chair of State” and was made by John Webb of Bond Street in 1847 for Prince Albert to AWN Pugin's design. It can be seen in the House of Lords Chamber to the side of the Sovereign's Throne. Originally the back of the chair was embroidered with Prince Albert's coat of arms and the letter “A” can be seen engraved on the front of the chair where the legs cross. The archives of the furniture makers Holland & Sons describes refurbishing the chair before State Opening of Parliament in 1901. It seems the original embroidery was removed and replaced with the Royal Ducal Coronet we see today. The chair is used once a year during State Opening of Parliament.