There is a set of Pugin designed ceramics in the Palace of Westminster but not currently on the visitor route. There are almost 200 pieces which were acquired in 1983. These ceramics were used by Pugin and his family in their home, The Grange, in Ramsgate.
They were made to Pugin's gothic revival design by his good friend Herbert Minton (1793-1858) in Stoke-upon-Trent. Minton also produced the rich and elaborate encaustic tiles for the new Palace of Westminster. Thomas Minton and Sons started producing ceramics in 1793, later becoming Minton & Co and merging with the firm Doulton in 1968. The Minton Archive has been kept together and is in the care of the City of Stoke-on-Trent.
This selection of ceramics at the Palace of Westminster is made up of plates, platters and bowls as well as a pair of these comports, shown here. These types of dishes were used to hold food and added variety to food presentation on a table.