Skip to main content

Dissolution of Parliament

The dissolution of Parliament took place on Thursday 30 May 2024. All business in the House of Commons and House of Lords has come to an end. There are currently no MPs and every seat in the Commons is vacant until after the general election on 4 July 2024.

Find out more about:

Public Bills

Public Bills change the law as it applies to the general population and are the most common type of Bill introduced in Parliament. Government ministers propose the majority of Public Bills, those put forward by other MPs or Lords are known as Private Members' Bills.

Introduction of Public Bills

Public Bills are introduced in either House and go through a number of set stages that generally involve Members of both Houses examining the Bill.

Bills that are largely financial, or involve the public's money - like new taxes or public spending - are always introduced in the Commons.

When a Public Bill becomes law

Once passed into law, a Public Bill becomes an Act of Parliament. The conditions of Public Bills apply to the general public, such as a change to the national speed limit on motorways.

Voicing opposition to a Public Bill

Members of the public who want to voice their objections to Public Bills can do so by:

  • writing to their MP or a Lord
  • writing to the government department responsible for the Bill
  • lobbying Parliament
  • submitting evidence to the relevant Public Bill Committee

House of Commons Enquiry Service

The House of Commons Enquiry Service answers questions about the work, history and membership of the House.

Telephone: 0800 112 4272 (Freephone) or 020 7219 4272
Text phone: Dial 18001 followed byour full number

Telephone enquiry service is open between 10am-12 midday and 2pm-4pm (Monday to Friday).

Find out more

Video: find out how to get involved with Parliament