Hybrid proceedings: Other substantive business

Sign in Members Lobby demonstrating social distancing - people must be 2metres apart

Substantive business refers to the types of main business that the House of Commons have agreed may still take place under the temporary arrangements for hybrid proceedings.

In addition to legislation, substantive business includes:

  • motions in the name of a Minister of the Crown;
  • Private business;
  • Statements made with permission of the Speaker, including personal statements;
  • motions in the name of the Chair or another member of the Committee of Selection

MPs must apply to the Speaker's Office to take part in these proceedings under the temporary hybrid arrangements.

Motions in the name of a Minister of the Crown

A Minister of the Crown refers to a Government Minister. The government may schedule business in the House of Commons by tabling a substantive motion. This type of motion asks the House to agree an opinion or a course of action on a particular issue.

Find out more about substantive motions in the MPs' Guide to Procedure.

Private business

Private business refers to any item of business that relates to private bills. Private bills affect particular groups, people or places in a different way from others. For example, a private bill might relate to one local council but not another.

Find out more about private legislation in the MPs' Guide to Procedure.

Motions in the name of the Committee of Selection

The Committee of Selection nominates MPs to serve on general committees or select committees of the House of Commons. The nominations for select committees proposed by the Committee are considered by the House.

Find out more about the Committee of Selection.


Find out what's on

Find out what's going on in Parliament

Parliamentary Glossary

Use our glossary to find out what parliamentary terms mean