Changes to work in the Lords chamber and committee
The House's work examining legislation and government actions in the House of Lords chamber and Grand Committee is now carried out through ‘hybrid proceedings', a combination of members taking part in person or online.
Proceedings are broadcast on screens in the chamber to enable members participating in person to see those speaking online and they are treated equally whether they attend online or in person.
A list of speakers sets out the order in which members will be called to speak on a specific item: members must submit their names in advance to take part. Speakers' lists and timings of when members can submit their names to a list are available on the Government Whips' Office website (external).
Members and staff in the chamber follow social distancing guidelines and the maximum number of members in the chamber has been reduced.
All House of Lords investigative committees now meet online.
- Watch the House of Lords chamber and committee meetings on Parliament TV
- Find out about online voting
- Learn more: Guidance on hybrid House, Procedure and Privileges Committee
- Listen to an episode of the House of Lords Podcast on responding to the pandemic
- Work of the House of Lords – making laws
- Follow @UKHouseofLords on Twitter
- Follow @UKHouseofLords on Instagram
- Like House of Lords on Facebook
- Watch House of Lords videos on YouTube
- View House of Lords images on Flickr
- Connect with members on the Lords Digital Chamber
Image: House of Lords / Roger Harris