Business of the House of Lords
What are the sitting (meeting) hours of the House of Lords?
The hours of business in the House of Lords Chamber are generally:
- Mondays and Tuesdays from 2.30pm
- Wednesdays from 3pm
- Thursdays from 11am
- some Fridays from 10am
The House usually sits until 10-11pm, occasionally much later and sometimes all night.
How many days does the House of Lords sit in a session?
Session 2019-21: 222 days
How long is the average sitting day in the House of Lords?
Session 2019-21: average daily hours sat = 6 hours 38 minutes
How many late sittings (after 10pm) were there last session?
Session 2019-21: 40
When was the longest sitting in recent years?
January 2011: From 2.30pm Monday 17 January until 12.52pm Tuesday 18 January on the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill.
- March 2005: From 11am Thursday 10 March until 7.31pm Friday 11 March on the Prevention of Terrorism Bill.
- October 2003: From 2.30pm Monday 20 October until 4.54am Tuesday 21 October on the Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Bill.
- October 2000: From 2.30pm Tuesday 3 October until 7.58am Wednesday 4 October on the Countryside and Rights of Way Bill.
- July 2000: From 2.30pm Monday 24 July until 5.12am Tuesday 25 July on the Football (Disorder) Bill.
- June 1988: From 2.30pm Tuesday 28 June until 8.47am Wednesday 29 June on the Education Reform Bill.
What was the largest division (vote) in the House of Lords?
A total of 634 members voted in a division on a change to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill 2016-2017 on 7 March 2017.
The vote concerned requiring parliamentary approval for the outcome of negotiations with the EU.
When was the House of Lords last recalled during a recess?
The House was last recalled on Monday 20 June 2016 for tributes to Jo Cox MP.
When did the House of Lords last sit on a Saturday?
The most recent Saturday sitting of the House of Lords took place on 19 October 2019 to debate the proposed withdrawal agreement for the UK's exit from the European Union.
- House of Lords publications: Sessional Statistics for the House of Lords - Sessional Statistics provide a breakdown of the work of the House of Lords for each session of Parliament
- House of Lords publications: Public Bill Statistics in the House of Lords - Sessional Statistics relating to Public Bills in the House of Lords