Artwork - Houses of Parliament, St Stephen's Crypt (Restored)

Search collection
Advanced search
Artwork
  • Title: Houses of Parliament, St Stephen's Crypt (Restored)
  • Artist: Edward M. Barry
  • Medium: Watercolour
  • Categories: Buildings
  • Catalogue number: WOA 1601
  • Description: Watercolour drawing of the interior of the restored Chapel of St. Mary Undercroft looking towards the altar. The Chapel of St Mary undercroft was one of the medieval parts of the Palace of Westminster to survive the fire of 1834. Following Sir Charles Barry's death in 1860 the Chapel was one of the remaining areas of the palace to be completed and the work of redecoration fell to the architects' son Edward Middleton Barry. The medieval stone lierne vaulting and carved bosses of the martyred saints were repaired, with new purbeck marble columns inserted below along the walls. The ceiling was richly decorated with gilded and painted decoration by Crace, the firm Clayton and bell taking responsibility for painting the line of saints on the east wall above the alter and the angelic choir in the vault at the east end. Work was finished in 1865.



  • Copyright:

    Full copyright information