Short Money

Financial Assistance to Opposition Parties (Short Money or Cranborne Money)

Short money is the common name given to the annual payment to Opposition parties in the House of Commons to help them with their costs. It is named after Edward Short who first proposed the payments. Cranborne money is the equivalent in the House of Lords and is named after the then Leader of the House of Lords, Viscount Cranborne.

Further information on this subject can be found from the following link.

Standard Note about Short Money

« Back to Glossary