UK members of the Committee:
|Mr Michael Connarty MP
||Mr Joe Benton MP|
||Mr Oliver Heald MP|
|Mr Roger Gale MP
|Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger MP
||Mr Edward Leigh MP|
Terms of reference:
- The committee shall consider issues relating to culture in Europe and shall encourage cultural co-operation within Europe and between Europe and other parts of the world, in particular the Mediterranean area. Culture and cultural co-operation include the fields of science, education, the arts, heritage, media, youth and sport, but in no order of priority.
- The committee shall in particular consider: the preservation of Europe's cultural heritage; education and youth policy; the media, including, in particular, questions of media ethics; issues relating to freedom of expression and the role of the artist and censorship, development of respect for and tolerance of differing cultures, including minority cultures within the member states; sport; scientific research; the impact of scientific and technological developments in society.
- The committee shall, on behalf of the Assembly, decide on the annual award of the Council of Europe Museum Prize.
- The committee shall follow the activities of and maintain working relations with the relevant European and international organsiations such as UNESCO, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the European Cultural Foundation, the European Science Foundation and the European Parliamentary Technology Assessment Network (EPTA).
- The committee, together with the Committee on Economic Affairs and Development and the Bureau of the Assembly, shall follow the activities of the Council of Europe North-South Centre. It shall also follow the activities of the European support fund for the co-production and distribution of creative cinematographic and audiovisual works "Eurimages".
- The committee shall represent the Assembly in and follow the work of the relevant intergovernmental expert committees of the Council of Europe.
- The committee shall share representation in the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI).
- The committee shall represent the Assembly in the Council of Europe's Committee for Works of Art.
PACE Comittee on Culture, Science, Education and Media