Monday 29 March 2010 at 4.30pm in Speaker's House
The Speaker, in the Chair
Sir Stuart Bell
Leader of the House
Mr David Maclean
Sir George Young
1. NURSERY PROJECT
The Commission agreed a response to the petition relating to Bellamy's Bar.
- approved the revised estimate of £511,000 plus VAT for the cost of works expenditure for the nursery;
- agreed that any extra costs relating to evacuation in case of fire should be met;
- agreed that the nursery should be open until half an hour after the moment of interruption on sitting days;
- approved proposals for publicising the nursery among potential users;
- agreed that there should be a system of Members' priority; and
- noted that the Accounting Officer will examine the business case, including cost and value for money aspects.
2. PAY OF SENIOR STAFF
The Commission endorsed the pay remit for senior staff.
3. MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING WITH BODIES REPRESENTING MEMBERS' STAFF
The Commission noted the draft memorandum of understanding with bodies representing Members' staff.
4. DISPUTE OVER DISCRETIONARY LEAVE FOR CERTAIN STAFF
The Commission agreed to refer the dispute over discretionary leave for certain staff in the Department of Facilities to independent arbitration.
5. USE OF PARLIAMENTARY RESOURCES
The Commission approved a statement on the use of parliamentary resources, for inclusion in the Members' Handbook and the New Members' Guide.
6. BRITISH-IRISH PARLIAMENTARY ASSEMBLY
The Commission agreed to a proposal from the British-Irish Parliamentary Assembly that Members should remain members of the Assembly after a Dissolution of Parliament until they are replaced or until the end of the next plenary session of the Assembly, whichever is the earlier.