The Speaker, in the Chair
Sir Paul Beresford
Sir George Young (Leader of the House)
1. MOBILE DEVICES FOR MEMBERS (Commission / MEC)
The Committee agreed that the resolution of the House on provision of IT equipment should be amended so that each Member would have access to a fixed workstation and either a laptop or an iPad for their use; and agreed that within these parameters Members could exchange an existing workstation or laptop for an iPad.
The Commission agreed to purchase the equipment handed in for re-use by House staff; on a pilot basis to provide iPads to Members of those select committees that agreed to move entirely to electronic distribution of committee papers; and commissioned further examination of options for savings that could arise from the widespread use of iPads by Members.
2. SAVINGS PROGRAMME AND DRAFT BUSINESS PLAN
• approved the Corporate Business Plan 2012/13 to 2014/15; and
• reconsidered its decision to charge for tours of the Clock Tower and, while confirming its view that charging for such tours was appropriate, agreed not to implement charges in the current parliament.
3. ALCOHOL POLICY
The Commission took note of various actions that were in hand to encourage the responsible use of alcohol by Members and staff of the House of Commons; and agreed to consult with the Administration Committee and the House of Lords on options for better aligning the opening hours of the bars with the sittings of the House.
4. UPDATE ON THE MPS CONTRACT
The Commission took note of an oral report by the Parliamentary Security Director.
5. BRITISH-AMERICAN PARLIAMENTARY GROUP
The Commission agreed not to accede to a request from the BAPG for additional funding in 2012/13.
6. RECRUITMENT OF LAY MEMBERS FOR THE COMMITTEE ON STANDARDS
The Commission agreed the proposals in the paper.
7. UPDATE ON MAINTENANCE OF TREES IN PORTCULLIS HOUSE
The Commission took note of the paper and welcomed the significant savings that had been achieved.
8. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 14 May at 4.30pm in Speaker’s House.