The Speaker, in the Chair
Sir Paul Beresford
Sir George Young (Leader of the House)
1. POSSIBLE COMMISSION ROLE IN NOMINATING LAY MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE ON STANDARDS
The Commission indicated its support for the Leader of the House’s proposal that nominations of lay members of the proposed Committee on Standards should be moved in the House by a member of the Commission on behalf of the Commission.
2. RECRUITMENT PROCESS FOR NEW PARLIAMENTARY COMMISSIONER FOR STANDARDS
- Approved the proposed recruitment procedure for the next Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards, the timetable and the principles to be applied;
- Agreed that the composition of the interview panel should be further considered, but should include the Chair of the Committee on Standards and Privileges and one other Member and have a majority of non-Members;
- Agreed that the Chair of the Committee on Standards and Privileges should participate alongside the Commission at the final interview;
- Agreed that a search agency should be used;
- Agreed that the appointment should be for two or three days a week but with some flexibility depending on workload, subject to the agreement of the Committee on Standards and Privileges; and
- Approved the terms of the appointment.
3. IMPLEMENTATION OF POLICY ON DISPOSAL OF PAST EXPENSES RECORDS (MEC)
The Committee confirmed its existing policy on the retention and disposal of records.
4. INCORPORATION OF THE PRU AS A LIMITED COMPANY
The Commission noted the proposed formalising of the relationship between the Parliamentary Resources Unit and the House Service.
5. CAP ON STATIONERY AND POSTAGE BUDGET
The Commission agreed in principle that additional funding for stationery and pre-paid envelopes above the current £7000 cap should be made available to individual Members who could demonstrate a need for additional stationery and pre-paid envelopes, subject to criteria to be determined. It also agreed to consider the possibility of indexing the £7000 cap to postage and other relevant costs.
The Commission agreed that the contract for the hire and upkeep of trees should be renegotiated at the earliest opportunity with the aim of reducing the cost significantly.
7. DATE OF NEXT MEETING
The next meeting of the Commission/MEC will take place on Monday 26 March at 4.30 pm in Speaker’s House.